Sunday, January 17, 2010

When Healthcare Comes Up In Conversation

Yesterday, I spent the better part of the day hanging out with several friends. One of them, I love dearly, even though we have our political differences. We established that towards the beginning of our relationship. Normally, I'll admit that I'm a fairly quiet person on the subject of politics. I don't feel comfortable discussing it with people I don't know exceptionally well for a few reasons. Number one, despite being a cruel and heartless conservative, I generally don't like offending people. And number two, I'm not Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck. I don't have every political weapon in my intellectual arsenal, and so I worry that I'll make my beliefs and principles look stupid in an argument.

So when my dear but misled friend made a comment about how certain problems would go away just as soon as healthcare passed, I kept my mouth shut. If it had just been the two of us, I would have said something. But it wasn't, so I didn't.

I believe that needs to change. Not only in my own life, but in the larger conservative movement. We keep our mouths shut way too often, out of politeness or fear or both. And in doing so, we are allowing our beliefs to be bullied, distorted and silenced.

It's time to speak up, fellow conservatives. It's time to be brave. It's time to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment