Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Let’s Talk about Something that Isn’t the Elections!

I don’t know about you all, but I am getting exceedingly bored of the headlines. By now, we all know that the American populace is discontented. We all know that they’re more likely to vote Republican than Democrat. And we all know that Republicans may very well take control of Congress in both houses.

Please don’t get me wrong… The thought of Nancy Pelosi having to kowtow to something other than her botox-inflated ego makes me want to shout “Hallelujah! Glory be!” like the most expressive charismatic on a Sunday morning.

But that either will or won’t happen in a week. And in the meantime, I’m sick to death of reading about “what if?”

Of course, if I really want a different story, I can also just go to the ever-relevant CNN, which features the headline, “Ex-lover: Clarence Thomas ‘not stable.’”

Pathetic.

It’s Really Rather Sad when You Think about It

Speaking of pathetic, Jimmy Carter is babbling again.

To those of you who voted for Mr. Carter – particularly one person who will more than likely take a bit of offense at this next comment… and be sure to tell me about it later – please accept my apologies, Mom. I love you anyway, despite your poor judgment on that fateful November day.

Hopefully you still love me after reading that.

The former – and failed – president is quoted as saying: “We had almost complete harmony with every nation on Earth. We not only preserved peace for our country, we never went to war. We never dropped a bomb. We never fired a missile.”

So? What does that prove? Other presidents can boast the same.

Some of them were simply fortunate enough to govern during a time of peace. Others were too preoccupied with other… ummm… activities to bother with retaliating against deliberate and obvious provocations from our enemies.

*Cough.* *Cough.* Bill Clinton.

And some are too delusional to face the facts… facts like the Iranian hostage crisis. Or the ongoing tensions with Russia. But maybe it all depends on how you define the word “peace.”

My Generation Again. Sigh.

I’m sure that the self-described “cool cats” behind the “Government Doesn’t Suck” rally would disagree with me on all of the above.

Then again, they probably have a high opinion of Barack Obama, which means they’re relatively stupid and/or unobservant, and therefore not really worth paying attention to in the first place.

And yet, I’m going to pay them their fifteen minutes of fame. Why? Because, as I said before, I’m bored of election coverage, this is my blog, and I can write about what I want to.

So nyah, nyah, nyah.

Sorry, I think I just stooped to the maturity level of those who will be attending the above mentioned get-together and marching alongside Jon Stewart’s equally immature “Rally to Restore Sanity.”

Jon, honey, if you really wanted to restore sanity, then you would have gone to the Glen Beck event on August 28th with the rest of the patriotic masses. You wouldn’t be mocking people who only want to divert the country from its headlong dive off a cliff.

But anyway, back to another example of how dumb my generation can be…

As the Washington Post reports, “a group of younger, web-savvy feds” are planning to join Jon Stewart and his brainwashed minions on Saturday…

“Organizers of the ‘Government Doesn’t Suck’… were inspired in part by last week’s Washington Post poll that revealed widespread negative perceptions of federal workers.

“‘We hear it day in and day our: the government sucks, federal employees are lazy and their positions are redundant,’ said march organizer Steve Ressler, founder of GovLoop, a social networking Web site for public servants.

“‘It’s time to turn the tables and remind the world that government employees just happen to be people – people that don’t suck,’ Ressler said in a message sent to The Federal Eye on Sunday announcing the march."

Yes, they’re people. I don’t think that anybody is really disputing that fact. (Whether they don’t suck, I don’t know. I’d have to meet them before I could say one way or the other.) But while certain government positions are necessary, too many of them are not.

For example: We don’t need as many IRS workers as we have. What we need is a more straightforward tax code!

The federal government has expanded well over its constitutional – and logical – limits. It currently employs around 2 million civilian employees – not including post offices – which makes it the U.S.’s largest employer.

If that doesn’t scare you, then you’re not really thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment