Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day Issues and Compromises

Today – Election Day – I’m going to do my best not to be insulting. I’m going to try to be non-emotional (Italian though I partially be), keeping my typical terms of “nitwit,” “idiot” and “moron” to myself instead of sharing them with you, my readers.

However, with all of that said, I’m still going to be blunt.

In this environment, with this President and this Congress, I quite simply do not understand how any American with any semblance of national pride or care for their future can vote Democrat.

Now I’m not saying that Republican is always the right choice. I voted a straight party line this morning, but it took a lot out of me to vote for two of the people, based primarily on their views of abortion.

Why I Grudgingly Voted for Eric Wargotz

Senatorial candidate Eric Wargotz, for example, is far too liberal for my taste. He supports embryonic stem cell research. And while his website says something pretty about “ballooning deficits combined with government waste, abuse, incompetence and fraud are threatening our children’s future,” he has made blatant statements in support of paying for illegal immigrants’ healthcare bills:

“I was very disappointed that President Obama stated that he wouldn’t pay health care for illegal immigrants. My ultra-right friends hate this, but I’m not ultra-right. Take the illegal aliens and give them Ids and have small businesses who hire them pay for health care.”

First off, if not rewarding lawbreakers – i.e. illegal immigrants, in this case – is an “ultra-right” stance, then this nation is in some serious trouble.

Additionally, does he know how much illegal immigration costs the nation, both financially and concerning safety? It’s a lot, to say the least.

Not to mention that he also comes across as extremely disingenuous when he then addresses illegal immigration on his official website: “I support national security policies based on the following principles… No rewarding those who have broken the law by entering the country illegally.”

In short, I don’t trust the man. What swayed me to finally check his box was only that the only real researchable alternative – current Senator Barbara Mikulski – is even worse.

Why I Didn’t Vote for Senator Barbara Mikulski

I’ve known ever since the healthcare bill first appeared on the Senate floor that I didn’t like the Barbara Mikulski. She’s your typical, liberal elitist who puts her will above that of her constituents’.

Maryland voters were right in with the rest of the country – shockingly enough – in expressing their dislike of Obamacare. Yet she still voted for it without ever blinking once.

Plus, neither she nor any of her staffers replied to my attempt at contacting her.

So no, I don’t trust Eric Wargotz. But the problem is, I definitely do trust Barbara Mikulski… to do the wrong thing.

Voting the Lesser of the Two Evils is Still a Vote Against the Worse of the Two Evils

Gotta love settling for the lesser of two evils. Or not.

As of 9:00 pm yesterday, I was convinced that I wasn’t going to cast a vote at all in that particular race. But as the night wore on, all I could hear was Rush Limbaugh’s voice in my head, chastising voters for punishing Republicans for their admittedly idiotic policies by voting Democrat in the 2006 and 2008 elections.

We all know how those resulted… with even more spending and even worse policies.

Who knows whether I did the right thing or not. Only time, I suppose, will tell.

However, as I implied above, the much easier choice was not to vote Democrat. I have found that, overall, the party has proven that it can’t handle even the most basic common sense or moral issues appropriately. Take the healthcare bill, where too many of the so-called Blue Dog Democrats caved in to pressure from Nancy Pelosi and voted for it, despite their campaign promises to adhere to fiscal responsibility and pro-life policies.

In the end, a few of them did hold their ground. But since too many of them didn’t, why take the chance on any candidate with a D by their name? Especially when our country is already suffering under liberal oppression?

At this point, this is what it comes down to, though things may very well change in the future:
  • A vote for a Democrat is synonymous with destroying America as a worthwhile and prosperous nation.
  • A vote for a Republican might slow that destruction down a bit or it might strengthen the country. It really depends on the candidate and the issue at large.
  • A vote for a Conservative helps to re-establish the United States as something its citizens can be proud of once again.
End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment