Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ricky Gervais’ Golden Globe Criticism Could Easily Be Directed Elsewhere as Well

I never watch celebrity award shows. Ever.

I consider them wastes of time, but that isn’t the main reason why I ignore them. After all, I waste my time in plenty of other ways every day.

The thing is though, if I want to waste my time, I’d much rather do it in an enjoyable way. And to me, sitting in front of my TV watching fake – in so many ways – celebrities act as if the whole world is supposed to be awed at their so-called accomplishments simply is not enjoyable.

Honestly, I’d rather listen to Obama speak for two hours straight.

Really.

With that said, it should come as no surprise that I had no idea the Golden Globe awards were recently on. And I would have continued on in that blissful state of ignorance if it hadn’t been for all of the subsequent media coverage everywhere I turned.

When I finally got to browsing the Drudge Report yesterday morning, there it was again… more headlines about what exactly had taken place at this supposedly must-see event. And I’ll admit that I finally broke down and clicked on it.

(OK, maybe I clicked on one other “article” before that. So I occasionally indulge in checking out the gorgeous – or not so gorgeous – gowns celebrities don. So sue me.)

Like many of the other pieces devoted to the Golden Globes, the UK’s Mail Online focused heavily on the evening’s host, British actor Ricky Gervais. If we’re to take writer Quentin Letts’ opinion as representative of most Brits, then it seems our friends over there were quite pleased to see Hollywood get a drubbing.

So too, I’m sure, did many Americans, although you wouldn’t realize that by reading most of the headlines and accompanying introductory snippets about the event. Perhaps frightened that they’re Gervais’ next targets, the U.S. media seems up in arms over their comrade-in-arms’ treatment.

Sometimes the Truth Hurts

But regardless of whether you think Ricky was out of line or not – and my guess is that there’s some truth to both perspectives – Mr. Lett brought up some valuable points concerning Hollywood:

“One of the paradoxes of the American film world is that it purports to celebrate individuality – and indeed rewards certain individuals amazingly well for their work – but it has a terror of independence of mind.

“Few Hollywood celebs got where they are today by being the sort of brave, gung-ho, stand-out-from-the-crowd heroes they frequently depict on the big screen. Hollywood and its power brokers hate a rebel. It is a place of groupthink and almost terminal political correctness.”

Of course, Hollywood is hardly the only group to cling to the childlike need of being liked at all costs. Politicians – especially, too often, those with an “R” after their name – seem to have that same problem after they’re elected to office.

Grow a spine. Or a Brain. Or - Preferably - Both, Please

Take Scott Brown, who jumped on the let’s-all-get-along train – again – on Monday, this time concerning the bi-partisan seating opportunistic Senator Mark Udall (D – CO) suggested for President Obama’s upcoming State of the Union address.

Far from the peace-loving, pipe-smoking, non-threatening portrait it’s meant to portray, this is just one more chance to blame Republicans for the all-too-recent Arizona shooting. If Republicans agree, it will look as if they agree that their rhetoric has gotten out of hand. And if they don’t, then it will look like they don’t care that their violent words resulted in people getting shot.

Or, at least, that’s what Democrats hope to get out of the seating arrangements.

And going over board to prove that he isn’t one of the bad guys, along comes Scott Brown with this Hollywood-style bit of blathering bravery:

“I’ll sit where ever they put me. I don’t care. That’s the type of attitude we need to have not only in Washington but here in our local political system where people need to forget about the little itty-bitty letter behind my name and other people’s names and just kind of get going and get our jobs going and do what’s best for this state and this country.”

Bravo Scotty! You’re totally right: Because life is best lived when we avoid all controversy.

Or was that how slaves are made? Ask Hollywood; they should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment