Friday, February 4, 2011

9.0% Unemployment under Obama is like 18.9% Unemployment under Bush: It’s All in the Spin

The first news story that caught my attention when I logged into my work computer this morning was the Yahoo! headline citing the drop in the U.S. unemployment rate, now down to 9.0% for the first time since May 2009… and well after President Obama promised it wouldn’t even come close to touching that level.

I knew right then that I had my blogging topic to end the week.

Sometimes it takes a bit of searching before I can get passionate enough about any one news item to give it the time of day. And there are other times I am, frankly, just not knowledgeable enough about a subject to comment on it, especially when it comes to complicated financial issues like QE2.

But no such problems today, as I feel pretty darn competent in discussing the unemployment rate. That’s because, while I do still have a job, I am currently looking for a new one. And I have been off and on for about a year now.

The fact that I’ve been looking for a new job off and on for that amount of time – with my experience – logically indicates one of two things: Number one, I’m extraordinarily lazy. Or number two, there are no jobs to be had out there.

I am not an extraordinarily lazy person. But I can sympathize with the unemployed out there who have simply given up trying to find one. Because that’s the reason why my searches were so sporadic in 2010: It’s depressing constantly finding nothing!

Even this week, I hopped onto Monster.com and a few other jobs-focused sites to see what I could apply to. After looking for editorial positions in three different states, I found depressingly little and absolutely nothing that I actually qualified for.

Let me summarize that into a single short sentence:

I searched open positions in three states and found nothing.

That's hardly a good sign.

The U.S. Unemployment Rate Doesn’t Even Cover Half the Story… Literally

So who cares that government data says the unemployment rate dropped from 9.8% in November to 9.4% in December to 9% flat last month? It’s all a trumped up number, and everybody knows it.

Even more indicative of just how bad things really are, everybody is admitting it… including the mainstream media – a term apparently coined and disseminated by the evil right-wing media, which controls all according to the New York Daily News.

Incidentally, the link above will take you down a fascinating and far-stretching journey into the manic mind of the leftist conspiracy theorist.

Yet even the most clinically paranoid of the left’s propaganda machine – a.k.a. the Associated Press – had to end their evaluation of the supposed drop in unemployment on an extremely negative note:

“The January report also includes the government’s annual revisions to the employment data, which showed that fewer jobs were created in 2010 than previously thought. All told, about 950,000 net new jobs were added last year, down from a previous estimate of 1.1 million. The economy lost about 8 million jobs in 2008 and 2009.

“In the past three months, the economy generated an average of 83,000 net jobs per month. That’s not enough to keep up with population growth.”

Shockingly enough, that depressed tone is rather prevalent in the entire article, from the title – Unemployment falls to 9.0 pct., only 36K new jobs – to the first paragraph, which reiterates the headline and therefore really sets the tone.

And sure, there are some namby pamby excuses about the weather factoring in and brief praises about how far the unemployment rate has fallen as of late, but those are half-hearted – at best – attempts at painting a prettier picture.

They know it and we know it. And if anybody tries to say otherwise, just send them to Gallup, which reported yesterday of a January unemployment rate of 9.8% and an underemployment rate of 18.9%.

Told you 9% was literally only half the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment