Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine’s Day Advice from First Lady Michelle Obama

If you’re single, Valentine’s Day can be quite a pain-in-the-neck.

Seeing people making romantic plans, exchanging gifts and saying “I love you” to each other usually isn’t that big of a deal. It can even be rather cute, I’ll admit.

But when absolutely everybody around you is doing it all in a 24-hour period, well, let’s just say it can get very old very fast. There’s only so much cuteness a single gal can take before she wants to go find a county where the holiday is banned.

I hear Iran is nice this time of year.

Fortunately, before I could start shopping for burkas and low self-esteem, I found a sure-shot cure for romantic blues: politics. And I’m not talking about cheating spouses like the recently-caught cad, Christopher Lee. That’d be far too easy.

I’m referring to the marriage advice coming from the First Lady, Mrs. Obama.

Michelle Obama: Sugar and Spice, with a Dash of Arsenic

For those of you in relationships, Mrs. Obama says it’s all about laughter:

“I think a lot of laughing. I think in our house, we don’t take ourselves too seriously, and laughter is the best form of unity, I think, in a marriage.”

Of course, she adds, it doesn’t hurt that the president is “very romantic.” He allegedly never forgets a date or a birthday.

Not surprisingly, there was no mention that he also checks out underage girl’s derrieres when not on his wife’s leash.

In Mrs. Obama’s defense, I’m sure that she’s under a lot of pressure to keep a positive profile in front of the cameras, especially after the Anti-American rhetoric she became so well known for during the 2008 elections.

You know, stuff like saying she’d never been proud of her country until her hubby was doing well in the polls or calling the U.S. a place that was “just downright mean.”

Those hardly seem like the words of a happy person who’s accustomed to laughing… at least about something other than her enemies falling on their faces.

We could speculate that the president has a positive effect on her seemingly dour disposition, but considering repeated allegations that he takes himself way too seriously, I highly doubt that.

Please, Michelle, Please! Just Make It Stop!

Regardless of whether the First Lady was lying through her teeth or not really isn’t the issue. I actually do sincerely hope that she and the President are very happy together, even if I’m not sure how two such seemingly unpleasant people can be happy at all.

I’m just rather tired of seeing her held up as such an amazing standard to the rest of us poor slobs. It’s rather like Hollywood celebrities who are lauded as absolute beauties that other women can only ever dream of looking like… until the make-up comes off and we see that they’re really pretty ordinary.

Maybe I’m naïve; maybe I just never noticed that they interview the First Lady on or about Valentine’s Day every year. But it seems to me that Mrs. Obama is given far more props than she deserves.

Her gardening, her fashion sense, her romantic advice… None of it is all-that ground breaking, and yet we’re all told how amazing she is over and over again. It just gets a bit much after a while, especially when her husband has such loathsome policies.

So while I welcome her to have as many romantic dinners with her husband as she can, my fellow Americans and myself simply don’t need to know the details.

We’re much better served knowing the truth about her husband’s agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment