Monday, March 28, 2011

Even Mother Nature Thinks Earth Hour Is Stupid

If you forgot to celebrate Earth Hour on Saturday – or just didn’t care to observe it – don’t worry; you’re not alone. Earth Hour was between 8:30 and 9:30 on he 26th, a time dedicated to celebrating Mother Nature’s fragility and championing global warming activism by turning off lights all around the world. Personally, I kept the four-year old tradition in the manner I normally do: by ignoring it. And with good reason, considering a few inconvenient little facts:

  1. It’s officially Spring. Yet the supposedly benign Mother Nature wants to keep wind chill factors at February levels, while dumping snow on various parts of the country. Maryland even had snow flurries early on Sunday. I should be seriously considering shedding my jacket right now. Yet I’m pulling on mittens instead.

  2. This is the second frigidly cold winter we’ve had in a row, with record levels of snow and ice and generally unpleasant driving conditions. If we have one more, Al Gore and his minions need to go live in Antarctica. Permanently. Without any way to communicate with the outside world.

  3. Just a few weeks ago, Mother Nature socked Japan with a devastating earthquake and tsunami, killing so-far countless lives and wreaking so-far countless damage. This hardly seems the behavior indicative of anything fragile.

So forgive me if I can’t bring myself to turn off my lights to supposedly save Mother Nature. I’d instead love to rail against her for the many hours I’ve spent shoveling snow the last two years, but that would really mean I’d be yelling at God, which generally isn’t an advisable thing to do.


Interest in Earth Hour Waning. Maybe Because It’s Cold!


According to Mark Sarner, a marketer for non-profits, this year's Earth Hour wasn't as big a deal as last year's Earth Hour, which wasn’t as big a deal as the previous year’s. “Unless something really dramatic is done to recreate it and reinvent it,” he says, “I don’t think Earth Hour will be a significant thing in the five years.”


He blames this on, “you know, novelty normalized and this is no longer a novelty.” I blame it on a really shoddy, disingenuous and desperate marketing campaign.


It’s rather difficult to believe ego-tripping hypocrites who gallivant around the world in private jets, all the while telling us that we need to cut back. The same goes for people who can’t keep their stories straight, first telling us that Global Warming means the end of snowfall and then claiming when it does snow – repeatedly! – attributing it to Global Warming.


Of course, they really don’t have any other choice but to lie, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment