Thursday, September 22, 2011

$16 Muffins, $8 Coffee and $10 Cookies: Nothing but the Best for the U.S. Government

I’m a Panera Bread junkie, what with their menu of spinach and bacon breakfast soufflés, chicken frontega paninis, asiago cheese bagels, black cherry smoothies, and giant, soft-baked chocolate chip cookies, all of which I’m a major sucker for.

Problem is, Panera is a bit pricey and has gotten pricier as of late due to various economic and business-related reasons. So despite my practically constant cravings for something Panera, I limit how often I go to the delightful bakery/café to maybe once a month.

In all honesty, I can’t afford to be eating out too much, not unless I want to go into credit card debt, which I don’t. Regardless of the finer things I might take a fancy to, they aren’t even remotely worth the fiscal headache of not being my own woman.

And let’s face it: When you’re in credit card debt, those companies pretty much own you.

Plus, when it comes down to it, I can usually live without that dress at the mall – cute though it may be – or the entire DVD collection of In Plain Sight from Amazon – even though the show totally rocks! – or a shiny new car. Life goes on without any of those things and, the truth is, I might even be better off without them.

The government, it would seem, would vehemently disagree with my assessment though, at least concerning them. A Department of Justice report released last week shows the government institution “spent $16 on each of the 250 muffins serves at an August 2009 legal conference in Washington.”

Reuters expounds that: “The DOJ spent $121 million on conferences in fiscal 2008 and 2009, which exceeded its own spending limits and appeared to be extravagant and wasteful, according to the report that examined 10 conferences held during that period.”

“Appeared to be extravagant and wasteful?” “Appeared!”

Pricey Panera charges less than $5 for its muffins and less than $2 for its cookies, which are both freshly baked every morning using solid ingredients. What does the DOJ’s snack supplier put in their tasty treats? Top-notch crack cocaine?

A Justice Department spokeswoman assures us all that steps have been taken since then “to ensure that these problems do not occur again.”

But even if I believed that – which I don’t – it still shows an appalling lack of common sense and decency, considering the fiscal state of the country, the economic plight of its citizens and the high taxes they already suffer under… with President Obama calling for even more!

These people are insufferable and profligate elitists. Why do we put up with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment