Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry and Lindsay Lohan in Most Popular 2011 Search List

Yesterday I couldn’t help but shake my head in disgust at America – a country that I truly love – when I read about a convicted criminal’s extremely frivolous lawsuit.

Today, unfortunately, I find myself doing the same exact thing after reading Yahoo’s “2011 Year in Review.” Apparently, these were the Top 10 most searched for internet topics in 2011, in order:

1. iPhone
2. Casey Anthony
3. Kim Kardashian
4. Katy Perry
5. Jennifer Lopez
6. Lindsay Lohan
7. American Idol
8. Jennifer Aniston
9. Japan Earthquake
10. Osama bin Laden

Setting Apple mania aside, it’s a really sad day when shallow sluts like Kim Kardashian, pointless bimbos like Katy Perry and all-around train wrecks like Lindsay Lohan are deemed to be of such monumental interest.

While I actually do feel bad for Lindsay Lohan, who is throwing her life away to indulge in obviously very low self-esteem (I can’t bring myself to have any such pity for Kim Kardashian, who only got famous because she made a sex tape, and Katy Perry, who goes out of her way to portray herself and womankind as sexbots with the mental capacity of dandelions), I still have to ask:

Who cares?

Unfortunately, the answer is as obvious as it is unflattering. Mindless gossips care to know all the dirty details about Kim Kardashian’s ill-fated, publicity-driven marriage or Linday Lohan’s countless trips to court and rehab, just like self-made subservients are interested in Katy Perry’s latest cupie doll performance.

(And no, I’m not talking about clicking on a featured story about them every once in a while. I’m referring to actually searching for them.)

As Yahoo points out, “Breaking news stories don't always crack the Top 10: People don't have to search for details they can get in the news, and it's rare that a single term can stand for a complex news story.”

But even so, that’s no excuse for such universal interest in the illegal, immoral and uninspiring antics of such uninspiring and exceedingly immature individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment