Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tim Tebow Haters like Rabbi Joshua Hammerman Have Gone off the Deep End

I’ve been a Denver Broncos football fan since Super Bowl XXXII in 1998. (Which they won) And I’ve been loyal ever since, even rooting against my #2 team, the Steelers, in Super Bowl XL for beating the Broncos in the AFC Championship game that year.

Sadly, I don’t get to watch them all that much, largely because I don’t have cable. That and, living in Baltimore, I find myself frequently distracted from paying attention to my beloved Broncos, thanks to my intense annoyance with all things Ravens.

These days though, as difficult as it is for me to shut out the birds marking everything from billboards to coworkers’ conversations, it’s become even more difficult to ignore the Broncos, all thanks to the Tim Tebow insanity sweeping the country.

Commentary on Tim Tebow is everywhere, from the sports world to religious venues. And even in the former, opinions of him seem to spring from his Christianity more than his ability to play ball half the time.

Considering the downright nasty analysis he can get, it doesn’t seem too farfetched to say that it isn’t Tebow’s ability or inability to throw a ball that really has people in snits.

Take Rabbi Joshua Hammerman, who – if not for being a Jew – would probably get along great with President Obama’s old pal, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, who is known for his hateful words on just about every subject, including the 9/11 terrorist attacks. (Wright hates Jews, hence why he and Hammerman wouldn’t be friends.)

In his personal blog, Hammerman predicts that a Tebow Super Bowl victory could lead to “insane things, like burning mosques, bashing gays and indiscriminately banishing immigrants.” All because the Broncos quarterback is a conservative Christian.

Because conservative Christians are known for that kind of stuff? That notion makes as much sense as Hammerman’s defense that Tebow:

“…has done extraordinary things. His love for people is unbounded. His entire life’s work is also predicated on saving my soul for Jesus. He’s not alone in this. Tebow has been affiliated with the Southern Baptists, who spend millions to convert Jews, often deceptively… I personally don’t consider that exemplary behavior. Is it better than raping little boys? Absolutely. But is it admirable? I have issues with anyone determined to save my soul, be that person Christian or Jewish… My ideal person of faith is a pluralist, one who accepts the legitimacy of my faith. Tebow does not. I do not find that admirable.”

First of all, a religious pluralist is somebody who doesn’t really have a belief, only crack. Second of all, as far as I’m aware, Tim Tebow has never said anything even remotely anti-Semitic. And third of all, huh?

This seems a decent time to quote Proverbs 26:4 – a Jewish saying – and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment