Friday, February 24, 2012

Richard Dawkins Tries to Deny God Again

Richard Dawkins, the world’s “most famous atheist,” admitted that he is only “6.9 out of seven” sure that God doesn’t exist, adding, “I think the probability of a supernatural creator existing is very, very low.”

This admission makes him slightly more credible than the image he’s projected in past years, but just barely, since he hasn’t apologized for his previous postulations that religion – and especially Christianity, it seems – is a concept constructed by the hopelessly uneducated.

In his mind then, my opinion – not to mention my ultimate existence – is just about entirely irrelevant, since I am 9.999999999999999 out of 10 sure that God does exist. I base my opinion on scientific information I’ve gathered with my senses, factual conclusions I’ve reached through my intellect, and supernatural assurances I’ve received in my spirit.

Call me crazy if you want, as Richard Dawkins has all but blatantly done in his various books, including “The God Delusion.” But his stance is just as ignorant as the counter argument he abhors so much: the belief that God is scientifically verifiable.

The truth is that the existence of God can neither be proved nor disproved. Yet, even so, there are multiple reasons to think that there is some powerful being who, among other things, aligned the earth just perfectly away from the sun so that it doesn’t burn up or freeze over, thereby making it capable of supporting life, and gave human beings emotional and spiritual tools to enjoy life just as much the mental and physical capabilities to survive in it.

Richard Dawkins would undoubtedly have an answer for both points, probably something along the lines of what he said to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, this week:

“What I can’t understand is why you can’t see the extraordinary beauty of the idea that life started from nothing. That is such a staggering, elegant, beautiful thing, why would you want to clutter it up with something so messy as a God?”

But that question can be thrown right back at Dawkins…

With (sincerely) all due respect to his educational background and intellectual abilities, what I can’t understand is why he can’t see the extraordinary beauty of the idea that a loving Creator would fashion the world for human beings in such a way that could edify everything we were made to be.

Because that is such an amazingly powerful, comforting and – yes – beautiful concept that I don’t really understand why anybody would want to deny it.

No comments:

Post a Comment