Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Health Insurance Should Be a Choice Not a Mandate: Why Obamacare Needs to Go

The U.S. Supreme Court might be willing to take time to decide the constitutionality of Obamacare. But I am not.

It’s difficult for me to give something a chance when it was forced on me in the first place, with no regard for my intellect or individuality.

For example, the Obama administration and its lackeys assured the American people – myself included – that Obamacare would lower both individual and national health insurance costs… despite the utter lack of proof that it could possibly do any such thing.

Completely forgetting how much money every other government program has cost and is costing us, the idea that an already badly indebted nation could actually fiscally come out ahead by promising to pay for its citizens’ health insurance is ludicrous at best.

Then there’s the fact that I am one of the uninsured the President pretended to champion during the prolonged Obamacare debates. Unlike the desperately and unfairly impoverished picture he liked to paint back during those days, I don’t have health insurance because I choose not to have it, not because I’m too poor to afford it.

It’s. My. Choice. And government has no business taking it away from me.

I have my reasons for waiving health insurance too: I’m a fairly healthy adult in my late 20s and can’t remember the last time I went to the doctor’s office. I take my vitamins every day, work out on a regular basis, and put money into a savings account every month in case an emergency does occur.

Knowing all of that and considering the tiny chances that I’ll break a bone or develop some insidious disease before I’m 35, why would I want to spend my money on health insurance? I’m a grown woman making a logical decision based on my personal set of circumstances.

As Justice Antonin Scalia bluntly put it during opening oral arguments yesterday, “These people are not stupid. They’re going to buy insurance later. They’re young and need the money now.”

But even if I was making an illogical decision, the government shouldn’t be telling me what to do with my money and my body. (Yeah, let’s throw in a little feminist propaganda, which incidentally works better here than it does for the abortion argument since there’s only one body involved.)

It should be my right to live and learn according to my personal values and even inclinations, just as long as I’m not stepping on somebody else’s rights in the process. And in the case of health insurance, I’m not hurting anybody else, regardless of whether I purchase it or not.

The last time I checked, America was supposed to be a free country. So let freedom ring… and get government’s hands off of my health choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment