Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Obama’s attempt to Capitalize on Osama bin Laden’s Death Blows up in His Face


Right now, there’s a big to-do about an attack ad President Obama has out on GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

The video features former President Bill Clinton talking about what a difficult choice it was for Obama to kill Osama bin Laden, how agonizing the decision must have been, how noble the executive order was… blah blah blah, chirp chirp, beep beep.

You know: The standard hooey.

It also quotes Romney as saying, “It’s not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person,” and heavily implies that, if he had been in charge, the Republican candidate would have let bin Laden slip away to continue plotting against America.

But so far, the tactic isn’t working out nearly as well as the Obama campaign doubtlessly hoped it would.

In fact, it might not even be working with Obama’s base, since even die-hard liberal Ariana Huffington called it “one of the most despicable things you can do.” And it put Romney in a perfect position to quip that “Even Jimmy Carter would have given that order,” portraying the current president as more than a few shades of pathetic for running the ad in the first place.

Meanwhile, the UK’s Mail Online quotes a serving SEAL team member as saying: “Obama wasn’t in the field, at risk, carrying a gun. As president, at every turn he should be thanking the guys who put their lives on the line to do this. He does so in his official speeches because his speechwriters are smart. But the more he tries to take the credit for it, the more the ground operators are saying, ‘Come on, man!’ It really didn’t matter who was president. At the end of the day, they were going to go.”

I understand the reactions. I do. Yet after watching the ad myself, I really can’t say I personally find it all that shocking or even appalling. Maybe I just automatically assume liberals will stoop that low, but I was expecting a lot worse from the source of the whole kafuffle than I actually saw.

I admire and respect the SEAL team that took out Osama bin Laden, and the larger U.S. military as a general rule has my solemn appreciation. I also think that the soldiers deserve full credit for the job they did, and Obama really none.

But for me personally, the most ridiculous part of the political ad came at the very end of the clip after all had been said and done. That’s when Obama and Biden’s names appear and their website is highlighted… a website that reads: BARACKOBAMA.COM/TruthTeam.

 And that, beyond anything else, is what makes me wonder if there’s no level this president won’t stoop to. Though honestly, I’m really not sure why I’m even surprised at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment