Friday, December 14, 2012

Idiot ESPN Commentator Questions Redskins Quarterback Robert Griffin III’s Real Race


I’m not black. And I didn’t major in African America studies in college either. So I’m hardly an expert on the subject.

But I do have eyes. So I’m fairly sure that Redskins Quarterback Robert Griffin III is a black man. And judging by his own words, it would seem that he thinks he’s black as well.

In a news conference the other day, he spoke out on the issue, saying, “For me, you don’t ever want to be defined by the color of your skin. You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That’s what I’ve tried to go out and do. I am an African American in America. That will never change. But I don’t have to be defined by that.”

But such evidence only goes so far to brilliant thinkers like ESPN analyst Rob Parker, who has apparently been analyzing Griffin for some time now.

His conclusion? Well, the talented rookie might be “a brother,” but he might also just be “a cornball brother.” Don’t ask me what that means exactly, since even UrbanDictionary.com – which is usually so helpful when it comes to juvenile terminology – didn’t have a definition for the label. But considering Parker’s other comments about Griffin, I’m going to guess that it’s not very flattering…

The ignorant man continued with: “He’s not real. Okay, he’s black, he kind of does the thing, but he’s not really down with the cause. He’s not one of us. He’s kind of black, but he’s not really, like, the guy you want to hang out with because he's off to something else. We all know he has a white fiancee. [Gasp of shock and horror! An interracial marriage! How dare he?!!!] There was all this talk about how he’s a Republican [Which is even worse than keeping a white girl!!!!]...”

Personally, Parker’s words ring as rather ridiculous to me. Because I thought that being black was a physical attribute. Part of certain people’s DNA.

As far as I always understood it, being black is just like being white or being female or being male: It’s something humans are or aren’t born with. It’s something that, to some degree, contributes to who we are, but still merely makes up one portion of a much more complex being.

Clearly though, I’m a silly white girl – and a Republican at that! – for thinking any such thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment