Monday, January 14, 2013

Misguided Compassion Only Ends up Getting Mouse Killed Anyway


I like mice.

Seemingly random statement, I know. But I do. I think they’re adorable with their little whiskers and twitchy noses, and seeing one even inside the house makes me automatically go “Awwwww!!!” and want to keep it.

When I was a little girl, I remember the day that my parents caught a mouse in our basement with one of the traps they’d set up. My first thought? I figured I was getting a pet out of the deal. Little did I know that the critter’s carcass was destined for the garbage heap.

But that was when I was little. And as cute as I still find mice, I understand that they’re destructive nuisances when they’re running rampant through one’s house. They chew up electrical wiring, drop poop everywhere and have a tendency of carrying disease. So once you got ‘em, you do what you can to get rid of ‘em. Or else you’ll probably regret it.

Some people think that’s cruel. That killing animals is morally wrong and should be avoided at all costs. That apparently includes the young man featured in a new YouTube video, a good (yet misguided) Samaritan of a sorts.

From what we can tell from the 1-minute clip, he found a mouse inside his home and tried to do the “humane” thing by driving it out to some wooded area and releasing it. Only problem was that, in less than 60 seconds, a hawk came along and scooped the mouse up, presumably for lunch.

So the mouse died anyway. And it probably wouldn’t have lasted long regardless. If it wasn’t a bird of prey, it would have been a snake or something else. That’s the way the wild works. It’s the circle of life. Watch the Lion King already.

So what’s the moral of this little story?

Essentially, being nice without being realistic is a big waste of time. No matter how cute a mouse is.

No comments:

Post a Comment