Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Is Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” too “Rapey” or Just Another Sign of the Times?

I’m eclectic when it comes to my musical tastes (and my reading choices and my food penchants and my fashion likes and dislikes, etc., etc., etc.), so I’ll listen to a little of everything from show tunes to rap to country to pop to Christian to 80’s rock (Pour Some Sugar on Me, baby) to jazz. And I’ll admit that sometimes this means I get addicted to completely inappropriate songs.

Like Robin Thicke’s smash-hit “Blurred Lines,” which is insanely catchy and equally raunchy. Part of the oft-repeated chorus goes:

…I hate these blurred lines
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
But you’re a good girl…

Not exactly the classiest – or the most clever – lyrics ever, right? But critics are reading even worse things into it.

The Daily Beast questions whether it’s too “rapey.” And MSN gleefully expounds on that idea, saying “it’s a little odd [in the accompanying music video] that Thicke and his collaborators, T.I. and Pharrell, get to wear pants, shirts and even jackets while the objects of their desire (key word: ‘objects’) dance around with farm animals wearing nothing but flesh-toned thongs.”

It’s a little odd? Huh? What century is MSN living in? That’s the standard practice in music videos these days!

And The Daily Beast should consider checking out the lyrics to Katy Perry’s “E.T.,” which literally begs alien men to abduct and have their wicked way with her. Or Rihanna’s “S&M,” which advertises that she likes being tied up and whipped… especially interesting fetishes considering that she’s a black woman and the former victim of domestic abuse.

But we’re supposed to be especially appalled by Robin Thicke trying to convince a good girl to throw her morals aside?

Puh-lease.

Now none of that is to say that Thicke’s lyrics or video are in anyway conducive to societal bliss or mature relationships between the sexes. Because they’re not. They’re the (admittedly catchy) product of immature minds, and they show a ridiculous lack of respect for both women and men.

Yet it’s pathetic to jump down JUST Thicke’s throat when seduction and sensuality are today’s norm. The Daily Beast, MSN and any other critics intent on ripping JUST this song are more displaying their own lack of brain cells than bringing attention to Thicke’s obvious deficiencies.


Want to get offended over “Blurred Lines?” Be my guest since it really is offensive. All I ask for is some consistency… And please don’t read rape into things that clearly aren’t rape, as that doesn’t do anybody any good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment