Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Just Because You Can Spend the Money Doesn’t Mean That You Should

This past weekend, I got into a discussion with somebody about the proper usage of money.

I’ll flat-out, proudly admit that I’m a capitalist, and I believe that people should be allowed to spend their cash how they choose with few restrictions. Obviously there have to be some limitations, but I believe in making them as few as possible.

From a legal sense of the word, at least.

From an ethical sense, however, I can’t help but take serious issue with some of the ridiculously self-focused ways that people choose to spend their paychecks. Most breast implants; $28 million mansions; million-dollar, two-day trips around the world

These are all things I find exceedingly and unnecessarily extravagant.

Of course, sometimes a girl (or a guy) just needs to kick back and relax, and I’m all for the occasional treat for an ice cream sundae, a trip to the Hershey Spa or even a jaunt to Europe now and again.

But I do think it’s important to remember that there are people out there who are, oh, I don’t know, like dying of hunger through no fault of their own?

So it seems perhaps, just possibly, a wee bit selfish to throw around enormous chunks of money on utterly pointless distractions when you could spend a significant fraction of that cost and enjoy yourself just as thoroughly.

For example, spending $2,000 on an ugly (albeit oddly intriguing) pair of shoes

I don’t care if they’re made by famed Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid, whoever she is. Nor does it matter at all that United Nude – whatever that is – plans to pin its label on the product.

The million-dollar question still remains: Who in the world needs an ugly though admittedly oddly intriguing pair of shoes that costs $2,000?

I certainly don’t, but that’s just me.

Besides, why buy ugly shoes for $2,000 when I can get something much more adorable for a fraction of that cost from DSW?

I mean, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment