Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mexico World’s New Fattest Country… Somebody Please Let Michelle Obama Know

Breaking news everybody!

America is no longer the world’s fattest country. Mexico has weighed in, knocking us down the scale to Numero Dos.

Frankly, I would normally care less about this news.

I mean, I suppose I’m happy America isn’t number one anymore in this regard, though I hardly think that’s because we changed at all in our dietary habits. (I know I haven’t, and fully plan on getting that macaroni burger at The Cheesecake Factory tomorrow. Not that I’m fat, but still…)

And as for those people who like making fun of America for its obesity problem? Well, they’re not worth paying attention to anyway. Besides, I’d much rather struggle with my weight than my manners. Sorry, Europe.

So no, I don’t personally think this breaking news is all that newsworthy. However, that’s not to say I won’t encourage certain overbearing nutrition Nazis to take careful note.

Yeah, I’m referring to our dear First Lady, Michelle Obama, whose perhaps – perhaps. Probably not, but perhaps – well-intentioned push to fight childhood obesity in America has grown to ridiculous, harmful and condescending proportions.

This shows somewhat in New York’s Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake school district, the latest grouping of schools to drop Mrs. Obama’s rigid cafeteria lunch plan. Assistant Superintendent Chris Abdoo issued this statement concerning the decision:

[Food Service Manager Nicky] Boehm and her staff worked hard to implement the new regulations, but there were just too many problems and too many foods that students did not like and would not purchase. Students complained of being hungry with these lunches and the district lost money.”

Specifically, the district lost around $100,000 this way. That’s ridiculous.

Children skipping meals because the food is that disgusting or not being allowed to purchase enough to fill their growing bodies? That’s harmful.

And a hoity-toity bureaucrat like Michelle Obama dictating what individuals with their own dietary needs, physical functions and differing activity levels can and can’t eat as a single entity? That’s condescending in the extreme.

Not that I’m suggesting Mrs. Obama should stop trying to boss people around like she’s God’s gift to the nutrition world. Though, admittedly, that would be exceptionally nice. But maybe she could start focusing on the biggest problem around, which apparently is Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment