Thursday, August 15, 2013

Self-Proclaimed “Male Feminist” Admits to Being a Pig

The other day, I read about Hugo Schwyzer, a Pasadena City College professor who “spent years making a name for himself in the media as an expert on subjects such as feminism, self-image, sexual harassment and the ‘myth of male weakness,’” according to Yahoo.

Then, on August 9, the truth came out as he took to Twitter to confess all, calling himself “morally fraudulent” and “a monstrous hypocrite,” and admitting to getting it on with a 23-year-old and sexting with a 27-year-old despite publishing an article against dating significantly younger people.

“I cheated on my wife and pretended to be reformed. I appropriated the language of redemption, I knew which buttons to push, I used sex and charm and whiteness and it usually worked,” he wrote.

Not to make light of his admissions, but ho hum. *Yawn.*

Essentially, what we have here is yet another story of a liberal man talking a good talk about women’s rights while not even trying to walk the walk. Feminism is supposed to be such a lauded liberal platform, so why in the world do they have such a difficult time actually maintaining it?

(For anybody who needs a reminder that I’m not making generalizations based off of a single story, I present Exhibit A: Anthony Weiner, San Diego Mayor Bob Filner, Bill Clinton, all of the Kennedy men…)

When it comes to Republicans behaving badly, well, they’re expected to treat women horribly when they’re anti-abortion and anti-paying-for-other-people’s-birth-control. I mean, come on… Chain one chick to the bed, another to the stove and keep a third on the side, right? It’s practically the party’s mantra.

But Democrats? What’s their excuse?

According to their own platforms and outcries, they don’t have one.

Incidentally, I also went to take my trash out the other day and ran into a man who offered to carry my garbage the rest of the way to the dumpster, even though I was perfectly capable of doing it all by myself.

If I had to choose between that kind of behavior – something many 
people would say was offensive and anti-feminist – and the kind of 
lofty hypocrisy exhibited by Hugo Schwyzer and his ilk… Guess 
which one I’d pick in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment