Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Did you know that 2013 was the world's fourth hottest year on record since 1880?

Yeah, neither did I. But the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says so, so it must be true.

Now I know that we here in America had a particularly mild January, February and March way back when in 2013. The temperatures were practically balmy for that time of the year. But we also got snow in October, so while it seems safe to say that the seasons were completely mixed up, I'm quite surprised about the "fourth hottest year on record" designation.

Then again, let's not be ethnocentric. That's just America I'm recalling, not the whole wide world.

Yet here's the thing: Europe got its own share of freak snowstorms - something that can't happen when temperatures are significantly hotter than usual, mind you - too. Remember back in our toasty March when Western Europe got more than enough of the cold white stuff to force flight cancellations, strand cars and wreak havoc on commutes across the region?

Or how about reports of Tokyo living out its "heaviest snowstorm in seven years" last January?

Not that I'm saying the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration could possibly be wrong. And I'm definitely not trying to imply in any way, shape or form that it's twisting data or even flat-out lying to suit its global warming agenda on a day when I can't get into work because my car doors are frozen shut. Again.

I'm just saying that I'm surprised to hear the news.

I would never question authority, even when it's proven time and time again just how much it needs to be shoved into a freezing cold snowbank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment