Monday, April 21, 2014

Kim Novak Speaks Out Against Bullying but Misses Her Own Culpability

So last week at the Oscars, Kim Novak got a lot of heat from commentators and her fellow celebs about the way she looked.

If you want to see the pictures, click here. Otherwise, take my word for it that she looked like a pufferfish that was stung by a bee. Consequently, the reviews she received were less than flattering.

Understandably, she didn’t appreciate any of them. In fact, they really hurt her feelings. She said, “It really did throw me into a tailspin and it hit me hard… For days, I didn’t leave the house, and it got to me like it gets kids and teenagers.”

But she says she finally decided to take a stand “against bullies. We can’t let people get away with affecting our lives.” Novak went on to acknowledge “I’m not going to deny that I had fat injections in my face. They seemed far less invasive than a face lift. In my opinion, a person has a right to look as good as they can, and I feel better when I look better.”

I’ll agree with her on a few points there, at least in theory. I’m not really sure I’d go so far as to say that “looking good” is a basic right, but I get the point she’s trying to make nonetheless. And hurting people’s feelings for the sake of hurting people’s feelings is wildly immature and completely uncalled for regardless.

Sorry, Donald Trump. But grow up already.

With that said, Kim Novak is 81 years old. 81. Yet her skin is completely wrinkle-free.

For real?

There’s looking good and then there’s denying reality.

Novak is clearly in the latter category. And she’s equally delusional if she honestly believes that paying thousands (or tens of thousands. Who knows) of dollars in cosmetic surgery is the secret to happiness.

I’m not usually one for blaming the victim; but in this case, Novak isn’t helping herself out at all. If she really wants to feel good about herself, she should first accept that she has value above and beyond her physical appearance, particularly the unattainable, man-made notion of beauty she’s so desperately trying to conform to.

Then we can talk about taking down the bullies.

Otherwise, shutting up nasty people isn’t going to do much good at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment