Wednesday, June 11, 2014

David Brat Wins Virginia Primary, and Only God Knows What Will Happen From Here

So David Brat won the Virginia primary against Eric Cantor last night.

Since Brat is an economics professor who nobody heard about before this point, and Cantor is the House Majority Leader who has taken a prominent place in Washington politics ever since he first hit the scene in 2000, nobody expected him to be successful in this bid.

And now that he has been, nobody thinks he’ll win in the general election come November. Brat has no chance in hell, most intellectuals are saying, even though most intellectuals were saying he had no chance in hell to win the primary in the first place…

Let me state up-front that I’m not making any predictions myself. I don’t have a crystal ball, and I’m done trying to find one. I arrogantly tried and miserably failed at that pursuit for years before finally fully acknowledging that I’m not God and am not meant to have that capability.

This morning, I finished reading the book of Job. Actually, this morning, I finished reading the entire Old Testament for the second time in my life. Tomorrow, I’ll move on to the New Testament; but for now, I’m focusing on Job 38-42, the chapters where God speaks.

God speaks after 37 chapters of people theorizing about him… after a grotesquely suffering Job has told God just to kill him already, because his life is clearly not worth it… and after Job’s friends inform him that he must have sinned in order for God to allow such calamity to fall.

Then, amidst all of that agonized and confused and self-righteous analysis, God speaks “out of the storm,” asking question after question after hard-hitting, awe-inspiring question:

“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?” – Job 38:4-5

“Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom and spread its wings toward the south? Does the eagle soar at your command and build its nest on high?” – Job 39:26-27

“Do you have an arm like God’s, and can your voice thunder like his? Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor, and clothe yourself in honor and majesty. Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at all who are proud and bring them low, look at all who are proud and humble them, crush the wicked where they stand. Bury them all in the dust together; shroud their faces in the grave. Then I myself will admit to you that your own right hand can save you.” – Job 40:9-14

“Who has a claim against me that I must pay? Everything under heaven belongs to me.” – Job 41:11

In other words, God is God, and we are not. So it’s high time we stopped acting otherwise.

Eric Cantor lost last night because God allowed – even ordained – it to happen, despite everyone’s predictions. And David Brat will win or lose in November because God allows – and even ordains – it to happen.

We mere mortals can’t see the future. But the keeper of the stars who “laid the earth’s foundation” and enables the hawk to “spread its wings toward the south,” who looks “at all who are proud and humble[s] them” and owns “everything under heaven”?

He can. And believe it or not, he has everything under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment