Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Francesca Battistelli’s “He Knows My Name” Beats Lady Gaga’s “Applause” Hands Down

I heard Christian artist Francesca Battistelli’s latest hit-in-the-making on the radio this morning. It was adorable (In fact, I have it playing and replaying on YouTube right now), but I couldn’t help but compare it to a secular song I blogged about earlier this year, Lady Gaga’s “Applause.”

Gaga’s chorus goes:

I live for the Applause, Applause, Applause
I live for the Applause-plause
Live for the Applause-plause
Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me
The applause, applause, applause

And then here’s the chorus to Christian singer Francesca Battistelli’s “He Knows My Name:”

I don't need my name in lights
I'm famous in my Father's eyes
Make no mistake
He knows my name
I'm not living for applause
I'm already so adored
It's all His stage
He knows my name oh, oh,
He knows my name oh, oh


Battistelli may or may not have meant to write “He Knows My Name” as a response to “Applause,” but that’s the result nonetheless. And really, there’s no competition when it comes to the message.

I mean, which one automatically sounds more worthwhile? More fulfilling? More intelligent?

There are plenty more words I could use, but I’ll narrow it down to two: lasting and desirable. Isn’t it infinitely better to be “so adored” by your Father, who knows you – better and worse, amazing and lackluster, success and failure, thick and thin – than to have a bunch of strangers cheering and screaming for you today when you know very well they’ll be gone tomorrow?

Battistelli spells it out further in a bridge: “He calls me chosen, free, forgiven, wanted, child of the King, His forever, held in treasure. I am loved.”

“His forever!” That means we’re secure, wrapped up in his devotion for all eternity. Unlike Lady Gaga’s pleas to her fans, we don’t have to beg for it; we’ve got it! Guaranteed just so long as we continue to accept this Father’s love.

No offense to Lady Gaga, but what kind of nitwit turns that kind of love down for mere “applause?”

No comments:

Post a Comment