Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Why Colorado Wants Legalized Marijuana Is Beyond Me

There’s an article on Breitbart detailing how Denver, Colorado residents are complaining about the newly legalized marijuana industry, which is apparently smelling up their neighborhoods.

Now, I was just out in Colorado in the Denver/Colorado Springs areas last week, from Tuesday afternoon to Sunday night. And let me tell you… There was plenty to do! Other than smoke marijuana, I mean.

“Climbing” Pike’s Peak (i.e. taking the train up to the top), visiting Garden of the Gods, taking pictures at the Denver Bronco’s Mile High Stadium (now ironically named, I suppose), stopping at IKEA for macaroni and cheese and Swedish meatballs, spending way too much money on absolutely adorable apparel at some local outlets featuring national brands…

Okay. Yes, I know those two last mentions are hardly worth calling “sight-seeing” when there are two IKEAs within easy driving distance of me and plenty of places to shop in Maryland. But let me tell you something about Colorado that my Maryland is sadly missing: gorgeous mountain views.

My three traveling buddies (who are from New England) and I were exclaiming every other minute how beautiful the scenery was. Yet “beautiful” doesn’t cut it; “exquisite,” “breathtaking” and “awe-inspiring” come much closer to describing the views we were treated to out there.

Now, I’ve been to well over half of America’s 50 states. California, Florida, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Oregon… Each has its own beauty.

But Colorado? Let’s just say it very nearly converted me away from my otherwise firm belief that being within driving distance of an ocean (preferably the Atlantic, since I really am an East Coast kind of girl) is a must.

It’s stunning out there. Which makes its choice to legalize marijuana utterly mind-boggling.

I don’t understand why people would want to get high when they’re blessed enough to have that kind of panorama at their fingertips. With that kind of reality, why would anyone want to seek out drug-induced fiction?

I think it’s a very sad commentary on our times that we can’t appreciate such amazing creations in our right minds, but have to seek out quick fixes that leave us emptier than before.

Colorado – and the rest of America – needs to wake up and smell the roses... not the pot.

1 comment: