Monday, December 1, 2014

Ed Sheeran’s “Don’t” Doesn’t Make Sense

There’s a popular song on the radio these days called “Don’t” by Ed Sheeran. As usual with popular songs on the radio these days, it’s got a great beat and little else.

Rather like a country hit, “Don’t” tells a sad little story of a guy who gets mistreated by a girl. This guy – let’s just call him “Ed Sheeran” – meets a girl, enjoys her… ummm… company for a few nights and then goes off on his own thinking nothing of it.

Lo and behold, they meet up again months later though and start something that he thinks is a relationship:

For a couple of weeks, I only want to see her
We drink away the days with a takeaway pizza
Before a text message was the only way to reach her
Now she’s staying at my place and loves the way I treat her

Then she goes off with some other guy to enjoy his… ummm… company, breaking Ed’s heart and causing him to opine:

She was crying on my shoulder
I already told you
Trust and respect is what we do this for…
And I wasn’t looking for a promise or commitment
But it was never just fun and I thought you were different

This all begs the question of whether Ed actually knows what the word “commitment” means. ‘Cause I’m pretty darn sure that, in the context of a romantic relationship, it means “not enjoying other people’s… ummm… company.” It’s utterly illogical for Ed to claim that he “wasn’t looking for a promise or commitment” and then get all upset when some girl “f*cks with [his] love,” as he puts it.

I don’t feel like deconstructing or analyzing “Don’t” any further than to call the message silly and stupid and nonsensical. But really, it’s silly and stupid and nonsensical, making me wonder if we should stop using language altogether.

Grunts and hand gestures would make more sense at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment