Friday, February 27, 2015

A Few Brave Men: Ben Carson and Scott Walker Speak at CPAC This Year

There were two headlines that especially caught my attention on The Drudge Report this morning.

The first was about Scott Walker.

The second was about Ben Carson.

Both men spoke at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), and both men are possible presidential candidates for the Republican ticket next year. Also similarly, I really respect both of their efforts.

Scott Walker is the Wisconsin governor who took on the teachers’ unions and won. As the not-so-impressed National Journal put it, he has a “union-busting and budget-slashing reputation,” though he refused “to answer questions about whether President Obama was Christian” and declined “to clearly outline his position on evolution in recent weeks.”

Ya know what? I don’t care about those unanswered questions. I really don’t.

Personally, I don’t think the theory of evolution makes any sense from an intellectual or religious perspective. And I think President Obama has proven up and down that he’s not a Christian, mainly because real Christians don’t make everything about themselves. But whatever. I’m not going to find a candidate – or human being, period – who I agree with on everything.

Just as long as Walker is pro-life and believes this nation’s current course is the wrong one, I’m happy to tout his fiscal track record and courage as awesome reasons to elect him president of the United States.

Then there’s Ben Carson, who I don’t just respect. I kinda love him.

Like I said… Walker is one brave man for doing what he’s done. But Carson easily edges him out for first place here. Sure, he was in front of a bunch of conservatives when he blasted the Democrat party for treating blacks like idiots, saying stuff like “It really is not compassionate to pat people on the head and say, ‘There, there, you poor little thing. I’m going to take care of all your needs.’”

But here’s the thing… He’s spoken up on such hot topics just as openly to very different audiences. So when he accused Democrats of keeping the black vote through suppression, it wasn’t because he was just catering to a particular crowd. It’s because he believes it, and he believes he can do something about changing it for the better.

If I could choose the Republican presidential ticket for 2016, I’d say Ben Carson for president with Scott Walker for VP.

That’s my vote. Consider it locked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment