Monday, February 23, 2015

Patricia Arquette Calls for Women’s Equal Rights in Oscar Acceptance Speech

Patricia Arquette won an Oscar for Actress in a Supporting Role in “Boyhood.”

I wouldn’t have known that “Boyhood” was a movie, much less an Oscar nominee if I hadn’t been flipping around radio stations this morning and caught the acceptance speech.

Which I think was pathetic.

Here’s the part I objected to: “To every woman who gave birth to every taxpayer and citizen of this nation, we have fought for everybody’s equal rights. It is our time to have wage equality once and for all, and equal rights for women in the United States of America.”

Why did I think that was pathetic? I mean, I’m a woman and quite proud of it. I know very well that I am just as valuable as any man right from the get-go, and I’m exponentially more valuable than the majority of them if you factor in maturity levels.

(Sorry, guys. If you don’t want me to slam you, then you should try growing up a bit.)

But here’s the thing that irritated me about Arquette’s little speech… We women may or may not have “fought for everybody’s equal rights” (then again, the same can be said about many men) in the past, but it’s not like we’ve been forced to neglect our own in the process.

If anything, we tossed our perceived value to the side of the road of our own free will.

We reduced our collective value when we started demanding to be treated as superior instead of equal, seeking to trod on the opposite sex’s rights in order to boost our egos and cravings.

We reduced our value when we started accepting the idea that men are physically-driven animals, so we have the right to be physically-driven animals too, sleeping around, showing off our bodies and acting like our goodies are the most compelling thing we got goin’ on.

(Thanks for that, by the way, Hollywood. You are enormously responsible for that bit of anti-feminism, all while cloaking yourself in the name of “equal rights.”)

And we reduced our value that much more when we turned a piece-of-trash novel like “Fifty Shades of Grey” into one of the world’s all-time best sellers.

Yeah, I know I said I’d stop talking about that subject, but that’s what Patricia Arquette’s speech made me think of… How we women are never going to get equality if we keep choosing to stoop to such unequal levels.

If we really want to be taken seriously, we need to start acting seriously instead of just paying lip service to the idea that we matter. I can’t promise that every man will fall in line if we do, but it’ll make a remarkable change nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head when you said that feminists are bypassing equality and going right for superiority.
    We need to respect ourselves and behave as worthwhile human beings in order to see our own value AND we need to treat others with value in order to be taken seriously. Put simply, and possibly more clearly, what comes to mind is "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

    ReplyDelete