Tuesday, May 19, 2015

“Game of Thrones” Portrays Fantastical Past and Disturbing Present

Welcome to Feminism ‘15, where women “kinda love” when they’re raped.

Or at least Hollywood actresses say as much when the characters they play are brutally assaulted, doubtlessly in horrifying detail since we’re talking about “Game of Thrones” here.

What else, right? I'll let Yahoo explain it:

“Fans had to know something was coming as Sansa Stark married the absolutely insane Ramsay Bolton on Sunday’s ‘Game of Thrones.’

“After the wedding, Bolton not only forced himself on Stark, but attacked her and had his new pet, Theon, aka Reek, who grew up with Sansa, watch the entire time.”

Lovely. Just what “Game of Thrones” needed, more sexual violence against women. Is there any woman on that show that doesn’t get raped? It’s a genuine question (that I can’t answer since I don’t watch the thing, just read the recaps for some stupid reason). Can it get any worse?

Stupid question, because of course it can, and not even in the messed-up, make-believe world the show is set in. Here’s how…

When Entertainment Weekly asked actress Sophie Turner about her character’s brutal episode, she admitted “I kinda loved it. I love the way Ramsay had Theon watching. It was all so messed up. It’s also so daunting for me to do it. I’ve been making [producer Bryan Cogman] feel so bad for writing that scene: ‘I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!’ But I secretly loved it.”

She “secretly loved it,” with “it” being having her clothes torn off for cast and crew and audience members everywhere to see so that she can be depicted as utterly helpless and degraded.

Please someone, tell me what I’m missing here…? Because I don’t understand how that’s not mortifying or, at best, really, really awkward.

Then again, I guess I’m one of those conservatives who believes that women do have their limits (as do men). I think there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed for both genders, and that women gain and maintain respect most when they keep their clothes on in public rather than stripping for the camera so often that it’s old news.

I’m old-fashioned like that, I guess. Which makes it difficult for me to see how in the world feminism is going in a positive direction when women say they like being abused, even if only in fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment