Monday, June 8, 2015

Ariana Grande Opens Her Sexualized Little Mouth to Take a Stand for Feminism

Here’s a tale of two females, Ariana Grande and me.

This morning, I really wanted to wear a dress to work. I shaved my legs, looked through my closet and put on one of my many options. Then I promptly took it off again.

Why? Because somehow, someway, even though I haven’t put the thing on for a good year at this point, and I know I haven’t gotten any taller, the stupid thing was too short to wear to one’s place of business. For that matter, that entire section of my wardrobe seemed comprised of dresses that were too fancy or too flirtatious.

So I chose a different option even though I didn’t particularly want to. It was the professional, mature and truly feminist thing to do. After all, I’m at work to get work done, not to flirt.

Somewhere on the other end of the spectrum is Ariana Grande, who recently went into a snit and posted the longest Twitter rant ever. Here’s how it started, improper capitalization and all:

“being ‘empowered’….. is not the same as being a ‘b*tch’…
HAVING SOMETHING TO SAY….. is not the same as HAVING A BAD ATTITUDE….

What I meant when I said what I said about not being Sean’s ex is that I am tired of living in a world where women are mostly referred to as a man’s past, present or future PROPERTY / POSSESSION. I… do not. belong. to anyone. but myself. and neither do you.”

Fast-forwarding a bit, she continues with, “I come from a long bloodline of female activists, my aunt Judy was the first Italian american female president of the national press club in Washington DC. I think she would have been proud of me for speaking up about something that has been bothering me personally for so long.”

Grande quotes Gloria Steinem about how men and women are treated differently when society knows they’re having sex, then goes back to throwing her own two cents into the ring. “I know y’all already know this but the double standard and misogyny are still ever present. I can’t wait to live in a world where people are not valued by who they’re dating / married to / attached to, having sex with (or not) / seen with…. But by their value as an individual.”

It goes on from there, but let me stop Ms. Ariana Grande, since I can only take so much mindless hypocrisy at a time. Her current smash hit “One Last Time” says she’s “got nothing here without” some boy, who she incidentally cheated on and is now trying to convince back into bed even though he has a new girlfriend who’s really good to him.

Then there’s her previous song, “Love Me Harder,” where she tells some bad boy that she’ll “take the pleasure… with the pain,” while he describes – rather vividly – what he’s going to do to her if she can just ignore the fact that he’s treated previous women like trash.

And let’s not forget her constant demand for sexual attention, including but not limited to walking around in provocative outfits, writhing around in bed on her music videos, and generally behaving like her greatest asset isn’t even her impressive voice; it’s her legal-but-doesn’t-look-legal appeal to the twisted fantasies of the opposite gender.

In other words, she’s walking one walk and talking the same talk except for moments where she feels personally attacked for doing so. Then she’s all about feminist empowerment instead of widespread sexual attention.

She says she can’t wait for a world where women are treated like they have value other than their fluttering, mascara-coated lashes, their pouty glossed-up lips, their bared cleavage and their legs stretched to full display by high heels… while she coats on the mascara, pouts up her lips and bares all either visually or through her graphic lyrics.

With that kind of public figure portraying women the way she does, sometimes I have to wonder why I don’t just put on that unprofessionally short dress after all. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment