Wednesday, June 10, 2015

LGBTQ Community Kicks Iggy Azalea out of Pittsburgh Pride for “Homophobic” Past

Gosh! And people talk about Christians being unforgiving and judgmental. Looks like the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) community is giving us a run for our money.

It’s now come out (pun intended) that, when she was younger, Australian rapper Iggy Azalea – famous for a growing list of mindlessly catchy pop-tart hits including “Fancy” and “Pretty Girls” – made some comments on social media that can be interpreted as homophobic.

Considering her overall immaturity, I imagine that the comments in question were of the immature variety. But they’re in the past. Fast-forward to this month, when she was scheduled to perform at the Pittsburgh Pride event.

I’m pretty sure that means she’s not afraid of LGBTQ people anymore, if she ever was. I mean, it’d be a weird phobia that allows its sufferers to mingle so freely with the objects of their terror.

As someone who once suffered from a mild form of arachnophobia, I can tell you right now that I would never have agreed to host a concert to thousands of spiders. In fact, I still wouldn’t, and I haven’t been terrified of the creepy crawly things in years.

In other words, it’s clear that Iggy Azalea is trying to move on from previous opinions. Not that Pittsburgh City Council President Bruce Kraus, the city’s first openly gay elected official, is letting her. He openly criticized her after some of her old, deleted tweets somehow leaked to the public; and some groups flat-out cancelled their scheduled appearances at Pittsburgh Pride in protest.

The result? The rapper has officially backed out, saying, “I am a firm believer in equality. Unfortunately in the past as a young person, I used words I should not have. The last thing I want is for something so carelessly said to be interpreted as reflective of my character. I meant no harm and deeply regret ever uttering those words. As an adult I would never use them because I understand they play a detrimental role in the fight for issues that I do truly believe in. I am sorry to anyone I have offended or disappointed & I wish all my fans and friends participating in Pride the best of luck.”

That was a classy exit in my opinion. Yet it’s ridiculous she had to exit in the first place. I mean, hasn’t everyone said something hurtful and regrettable when they were young and stupid? For that matter, how many hurtful and regrettable things do we say when we’re full-fledged adults?

The fact that Pittsburgh’s LGBTQ community couldn’t get over itself and acknowledge reality is doubtlessly hypocritical. It’s hypocritical on a personal level, it’s hypocritical on a larger scale, and it hardly paints a friendly face on the group.

How about that whole “Judge not lest you be judged” scripture they’re always throwing in people’s faces, especially Christians? Seriously, where’s the love?

No comments:

Post a Comment