Tuesday, June 16, 2015

These Days, You Really Can Be Whatever You Want to Be… At Least in Your Head

Good news, people!

Bruce Jenner proved you can be male and yet really female, and now disgraced former NAACP chapter president Rachel Dolezal proves you can be white and yet really black.

Forget reality! Throw away the facts! Let’s embrace psychological neuroses and delusions instead.

Freedom for all! These are the 2000s, baby, and we don’t let little things like truth get in the way.

You wanna fly all on your own? Just say you can, and go jump off that cliff!

In Rachel Dolezal’s specific case, she says she started identifying as black when she was five years old. “I was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon, and black curly hair,” she informed TODAY’s Matt Lauer.

Her words inspire me to remember my own childhood identities.

When I was five, I was certain I was going to grow up to be either a princess or a cowgirl. So even though I’ve never so much as ridden a horse or thrown a lasso – and am honestly not even sure if “cowgirl” is even a thing these days – clearly, I missed my calling. Because my five-year-old self was convinced.

I was also certain that my stuffed animals and baby dolls played around on their own when I was asleep, and that I was going to marry Joshua. Or Andy. Or Ryan. You see, those three were all my “boyfriends,” even though we never had any kind of romantic commitment with each other.

You see, at five years old, I didn’t know what I was talking about.

That’s normal at that age. What’s not normal is when grown-ups still try to claim such things.

So basically, what we’re doing societally is convincing people to stay in a mental and emotional state of childhood. To stay immature. To be underdeveloped.

And we wonder why we’re so messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment