Friday, August 7, 2015

What Republicans Can Learn From Donald Trump

I’m not a Donald Trump fan. He’s not at the bottom of my presidential wish list (that might be Bush. Or Christie), but he certainly ain’t at the top. My top choices go as follows:

1.      Ben Carson
2.      Ben Carson
3.      Ben Carson

No, just kidding. Kinda. If Carson can’t take it, then I would happily throw my vote behind Scott Walker and then Ted Cruz.

But with that said, I’ve got to hand it to Mr. Trump, because he has something going for him that part of me respects… He’s not a coward.

Sure, he’s a blowhard and an ego-case, but he’s not a coward. Which isn’t something too many Republicans, especially those in leadership, can claim these days. During the debate – which I didn’t watch because I had more important things to do, like read my new Lauren Willlig novel –   Bush reportedly said the following about Trump:

“Mr. Trump's language is divisive. We're not going to win by doing what Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton do every day: dividing the country.”

And Ohio Governor John Kasich said this:

“Because someone doesn’t think the way I do doesn’t mean that I can’t care about them or I can’t love them. God gives me unconditional love, and I’m going to give it to my family and my friends and the people around me.”

Here’s the thing: Their words aren’t necessarily wrong. I mean, let’s face it, Trump’s language is divisive. We don’t want to be as disruptive as Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. And yes, we are supposed to love unconditionally.

Yet their attitudes and actions are pathetic. They posture like beaten curs instead of top dogs, apologizing for strong statements they’ve made, refusing to condemn what deserves to be condemned, and playing nice with an opposition that refuses to do the same.

Newsflash here: beaten curs don’t win. Sometimes the underdog does, but never a beaten cur.

Donald Trump doesn’t act like a beaten cur. He doesn’t apologize. He condemns what he damn well feels like condemning. And he certainly doesn’t play nice unless someone’s nice to him. When co-moderator Megyn Kelly (who doesn’t pull punches either) called Trump out about calling women fat pigs and disgusting animals in the past, what did he do?

He shrugged and said, “Only Rosie O’Donnell.” Which isn’t nice. But it certainly isn’t cowardly.

No comments:

Post a Comment