Monday, November 21, 2016

Liberal Designer Refuses to Bake a Cake for Almost First Lady Melania Trump

Last Friday, I read an article about some fashion designer I’ve never heard of, Sophie Theallet. Apparently, she'll be refusing her services to the almost First Lady Melania Trump and is calling on the rest of the fashion community to do the same.

“As one who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom and respect for all lifestyles,” Theallet emailed, “I will not participate in dressing or associating in any way with the next first lady. The rhetoric of racism, sexism and xenophobia unleashed by her husband’s presidential campaign are incompatible with the shared values we live by. I encourage my fellow designers to do the same.”

Designing dresses for current First Lady Michelle Obama, however, has been “a highlight and an honor,” Theallet made sure to say. “She has contributed to having our name recognized and respected worldwide. Her values, actions and grace have always resonated deeply within me.”

Values, actions and grace like palling around with a bunch of unapologetic, influential misogynistic rappers who use the N-word and promote violence?

Okay. Sure, Sophie, darling. Whatever.  

At first, I just shook my head at this, attributing her stance to the typical boo-hooing the liberal left has been doing ever since it lost the elections. But then I read a comment about it from someone labeled only as John:

“So one person refuses to provide services to another because she doesn’t agree with her views or life choices? Guess she’s lucky she doesn’t bake cakes.”

And just like that, my eyes went wide, my jaw dropped and all I could think of was, “Oh, snap!”

Because what a double-standard Sophie Theallet is more than likely living. While I haven’t spoken to her myself and therefore can’t confirm this theory, chances seem pretty darn high she was right there with the rest of the liberal left screaming for that cakery’s head last year when it refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple.

But when it comes to liberals standing up for their beliefs, it’s a whole different story.

Personally, as a conservative, I support her right to boycott whoever she wants to boycott, even if it’s entirely ridiculous and based on lies and willful stupidity. It’s her business, and she should be allowed to run it how she sees fit just as long as she isn’t physically hurting anyone.

Besides, I wouldn’t want the wife of any president I voted for wearing such overpriced trivial trash anyway.

€1,352 for an “abstract print shirt?” While we’re throwing around “ism” insults, how about classism?

No comments:

Post a Comment