Monday, December 19, 2016

Snowy Roads in Pennsylvania Point to Political Shenanigans

Out here in Central Pennsylvania, it snowed on Saturday. Not a lot, but definitely enough to cover the roads. Maybe about two inches, three tops.

I’m not sure exactly when the precipitation started, but it was early enough in the morning that the majority of the accumulation had happened by the time I woke up. And it stopped well before I went out at 2:00 in the afternoon.

That’s plenty of time for the snow crews to get out there to salt and plow the roads.

Yet it never happened.

Pulling out of my driveway, I didn’t drive onto slush. I drove onto snow. Two to three inches of it, actually, except for the tire treads marking where cars had already come and gone.

That was true of the whole development. And of the not insignificant road right outside my development. And of every other regular road I came across, in fact.

Even when I hit the highway, there wasn’t a single sign it had been plowed or salted. And while the constant traffic had kept the snow from ever sticking, a little salt probably would have been helpful, particularly for the early morning or late night, when the sun isn’t out to keep residual moisture from turning into, I don’t know, something as dangerous as ice.

Now, after last year, when states ran out of salt, Pennsylvania’s department of transportation – PennDot – said it was well prepared for whatever came our way this time around. Yet, again, its resources were never employed.

I can’t link to any articles proving this theory, but how much do you want to bet that someone in Governor Tom Wolf’s administration is making or taking money off of this?

My guess is that the guy or gal in charge of these kinds of decisions either gets a bonus check if they come under budget, or nobody checks that budget carefully enough to see when money is being misallocated.

Either way, it’s unacceptable that the roads were as dangerously messy as they were when we’re paying taxes meant to keep those roads safe.

And it’s even more unacceptable considering how Wolf is going to be raising our gas tax by $0.06 per gallon for that alleged purpose.

Politicians. Who needs them?

Apparently not Central Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment